Monday, February 2, 2009

Ice Storm 2009




What a week we have had! Last Monday we were expected to get freezing rain and we did. It continued until Wednesday morning. It amounted to 1 1/2 inches of ice on trees and power lines. Tuesday night was a nightmare; I heard breaking tree all night. There was about 7-10 uprooted trees in our immediate area, and when they fell the garage rattled. I don't think I slept any that night. I say all this, but we were very fortunate. Lots of people around us had trees on their homes and their yards totally destroyed. As well as no electricity or water. We were without power for 5 days, and I felt guilty when our power came back. The kids have been out of school for a week, but will go back tomorrow. I have to say it has been a good experience for our family. I saw my children become selfless, play board games, read books by firelight and go to bed with the sun and wake up with the sun. We tested our family emergency skills and our food storage. We learned what we need to work on and were proud of the things we were prepared for. We have lots or opportunities for service projects now!

This is our front yard, and as you can see we were very fortunate.








Aaron on a uprooted tree in our back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment